Resource Materials and Technology Center for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

Can a student who is deaf/hard of hearing take their school-provided hearing assistive technology (e.g., FM system, hearing aids, etc.) home?

The answer is “possibly.”  
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), section 300.105, Title 34, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)
 on Assistive technology states:

(a) Each public agency must ensure that assistive technology devices or assistive technology services, or both, as those terms are defined in §§300.5 and 300.6, respectively, are made available to a child with a disability if required as a part of the child’s—

(1) Special education under §300.39;

(2) Related services under §300.34; or

(3) Supplementary aids and services under §§300.42 and 300.114(a)(2)(ii).

(b) On a case-by-case basis, the use of school-purchased assistive technology devices in a child’s home [emphasis added] or in other settings is required if the child’s IEP Team determines that the child needs access to those devices in order to receive FAPE.



Supporting Success for Children With Hearing Loss has an article titled Schools Purchasing Hearing Aids for Students that may also have helpful information.


The information contained in the FAQs does not constitute legal advice. Please refer to the original sources listed in each FAQ for more information.